Join Sophie-stication Nation
Spending Time With Family and How To Make More Time To Do It
Today is Day 8 of the Single Christian Woman’s Challenge
If you want to look at th
e whole month click here for the original post from the blog Barn Princess.
Today’s Challenge is:
Day 8: Make Time for Family
Call your parents, your grandparents, your siblings. Volunteer to babysit. Support “their thing”: a blog, a business, an art project, a piano recital. Plan a family reunion. Host a family dinner.
I decided to focus this blog on spending time with family. As a single mother I know firsthand how hard it is to make time for your family. You have to work, maintain the house, do homework, care for the kids, and somewhere in between you still need to sleep and take care of yourself. But there is one thing that I learned early on as a single mother, it is not the quantity of time that you spend with your kids, but the quality of time.
So here are my spending time with family tips and how you can maximize your time and do it more often.
Maximize your days off
Every person has different days off and I understand that not everyone is off on the weekends. When I used to have to work weekends and was off during the week, my son was not yet in school yet. I would take those times to make time for us. I would not take him to day care and I would take him with me to do the things I had to do and then we would go out to eat afterward or I would take him somewhere fun like Chucky Cheese, which is not as busy during the week.
Now I have weekends off, and I really maximize my time with him over the weekends. On Saturday’s he has swim and guitar lessons. I take him to both of those and even sit in the room with him on his guitar lessons as his silent cheerleader. Also, since he has to practice at home, I help him practice since I am sitting in with him and know what he is supposed to be working on. It is time we get to spend together while he practices every night at home and he is appreciative that I am listening to him play.
Also on Saturday, after he is finished with all of his classes, we either try to catch a movie or we go out to eat. Our favorite spot is Chilli’s because they have the Ziosk in which we play the two player games, our favorite at the moment is Life. And being the competitive person I am this whole playing on the Ziosk is something that we really both get into. It may seem so small but he really enjoys it AND I get to eat and have a drink. So you can always find little ways to spend time that is not that expensive.
Other FREE Ideas include:
- Free parks or playgrounds.
- Having your own picnic in the park.
- Going to the library as they often have a kids section where the child can play games or read books. In most libraries they also have events for kids that are free to the public.
- Going to Church or Church related activities together.
Get Out of Town:
I am lucky because my son’s birthday falls on July 3rd, which is one day before the 4th of July. Meaning that I can always do somethings special around his birthday.
As a working parent, I know you have a limited amount of paid time off. So my point here is to try to combine a trip with a holiday you already have off. Like Memorial Day falls on a Monday, you can leave town with your children Friday afternoon and come back on Monday, that way you do not have to take leave for work. You can check out some trips that we have taken here to mall of America and here to south beach.
I know that not everyone has holidays off so you may can even get creative. Once I had to work the 4th of July at King Dominion theme park for an outreach event. At the time I worked with veterans and I had to set up a table for the organization I was working for. The park was kind enough to give me two free tickets to the theme park and since I was already in the park, I did not have to pay for my own admission. I used the ticket for my son, and that is what we did for his birthday. And it cost me nothing! It was a way to combine family time without having to take off from work.
You can find affordable out of the box trips to go that your children and you will enjoy, that is not going to break the bank. You can possibly even consider talking them somewhere you can drive, take a bus, or train to since their prices are cheaper.
Spend Time Together While At Home:
My son was on punishment for charging $1,100 to my Microsoft account while he was playing Xbox (see blog here). As a result he was place on punishment. No electronics and he could only watch television in the presence of myself of my mother. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Because it forced us to have family time. Since he was stuck in the room with me or my mom watching TV, he was forced to interact with me and play games such as cards. Before he would spend time watching cartoons on the spare TV, playing video games, or playing on the computer. So him being grounded made us spend time together every night.
In the day and age of electronics and working parents where things move so fast and spending time with family seems to hard to do. I want to let you know that you can find a way to do it and more than anything it is important for you to do it. Your kids are always going to be your kids and it is so important you spend time with them before it is too late.
In Case You Want To Read the Past Days in the Single Christian Woman’s Challenge:
- Single Woman Challenge Day 1: Think like a Queen To Get Your King
- Single Woman Challenge Day 2. What I Want In My Future Husband
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 3: What I Don’t Want In a Husband
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 4: 5 Tips To Taking a Better Selfie
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 5: Biblical Teachings For Single Women
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 6: Dream Big
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 7: A Single Woman’s Letter To God
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 8: Making Time For Your Kids As A Single Mom
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 9: Stepping Out Of Your Comfort Zone
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 10: How To Have A Grown & Sexy Girls Night Out
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 11: 5 Tips For Successful Online Dating
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 12: Random Acts of Kindness
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 13: Reach Out To An Old Friend Through Social Media
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 14. How To Go On A Prayer Walk
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 15: How To Meet New People
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 16: The Woman I Want To Be
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 17. Ways To Unplug and Enjoy Life
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 18: Ways and Reasons To Serve Others
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 19. Dare To Dream and Have the Faith To Make it Come True
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 20. The Joy of Spending Time Alone
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 21: Get Social And Meet People Online
- Single Christian Woman’s Challenge Day 22. Ways To Spice Up Your Look.
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 23: Why A Lunch Date is Better Than a Dinner Date
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 24: Tips for Traveling On Your Own
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 25: How To Have A Grown And Sexy Girls Night In
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 26. Types of People To Surround Yourself With
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 27. Make Memories Don’t Let Your Loneliness Be Your Defeat
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 28: Best Products To Pamper Yourself At Home With
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 29. Ways To Battle Loneliness As A Single Woman
Does This Thing Really Work? A Diva Cup Review
I Don’t Want To Get Married, Because I’m Not Ready For Marriage.
Why You Should Be Nice To People Even If You Don’t Want To & Even When They Don’t Deserve It.
Affordable Kid and Adult Friendly Trip. Nick Universe, Waterpark, and Mirror Maze Review. Mall of America
I Found the Oscars Extremely Offensive, And I Am Somehow in the Minority. Go figure!