Today is Single Christian Woman’s Challenge day 26. Click here to see all the days.
Today’s Challenge is
Day 26: Build Your Own Family
Open your Bible and mark down every time you find that God talks about the poor, the outcast, the widow, the fatherless, etc. Read through some of them. There are a lot so you don’t have to read through them all. Write down a few practical ways that you can build community into your life or take care of people in need.
There is a reason and a season for everything and everyone in your life. If anyone knows me they know that if you are not a source of encouragement, support, and positive energy I have no problem pushing you out of my life. Life is too short to have people putting all of this negative energy on you. So family is not just about your blood relatives, it is about people that you surround yourself with.
Today’s post is to tell you about the type of people you want to surround yourself with.
People more successful then you.
Perhaps I am very competitive in nature. So when I see someone doing better than me in my inner circle it makes me want to do better. Now there is a fine line between being jealous of someone and looking at their success as a motivation for you to be successful. Being jealous is bad. Being friendly competitors is good. I can recall that in my PhD program, a fellow class mate was completing her work, better and faster than me AND getting good grades. I was thinking to myself that she must be some type of genius or something. I did not hate on her, it made me push myself harder to catch up with her. Even though I never caught up with her because like I said she was a genius or something, it did make me perform better in the class in my attempt to keep up with her. That is why hanging out with more successful people than you will always push you to do your best.
Hang out with positive people
I cannot stand when people call themselves for your friends but they are really your frenemies. People that pretend to be your friend but hate you in real life (see my blog here on fake friends). These are the people you want to avoid, because every time you time you do something wonderful they are just going to try to rain on your parade and make you feel bad about something you accomplished.
That is because like I said there is find line between jealousy and motivation. Instead of them being motivated by your success they are jealous of it. Instead you want to surround yourself with positive people. People who motivate you and are ready to pick you up when you are having a bad day. And it goes both ways. If they are positive and you are the person who is being a drag, they are not going to want to hang you. No one wants a negative person. You always want the person who will look at the glass half full.
A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends.
~ Proverbs 16:28
People you can learn from
This is so important. Find out whatever it is that you want to do in life and find people who are knowledgeable in that area and pick their brain. I can recall when I first mean a woman at my internship she had the same education level and in the mental health field BUT she was a genius at marketing. She is the one that introduced me to the idea of blogging and sharing your knowledge in a different way. I really learned a lot from her in the short time that I knew her. That is the type of friends that you want. Someone that can teach you something that you can carry on with you through life. It does not have to be professional, it could mean that you link up with other great mothers or wives and learn their way of doing things….to make yourself a better wife or mother.
Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.
~ Proverbs 13:20
Some people are fickle and will turn on you faster than anything. The type people you want to be around you is people that will stand up for you even when you are not there. I am the type of person that if I really deal with you as my friend, when people speak badly about you in my presence I will put them on notice and let them know “hey don’t talk about my friend.” No need to get aggressive or fight for a friend that is what childish people do when they cannot properly express themselves. But have loyal friends and be a loyal friend. One who sticks up for your friend when they are not there, and sings their praises in front of other people. And you want someone who will do the same for you.
Some friendships do not last, but some friends are more loyal than brothers.
~ Proverbs 18:24
Stay away from Crazy People
Crazy people will make you crazy. Crazy people will get you in trouble. I watch the investigated discovery channel a lot. I see people all the time who were with friends who snapped off and committed a crime. The person just so happened to be with them and they did not do anything wrong. But the law does not care. And both of them are in jail doing time. That is a lesson that you have to be careful on who you associate yourself with. Because being guilty by association is a common occurrence. If you hang out with someone that is always getting drunk, high, or getting into bar fight with people; then this behavior is going to rub off on you as well. Have you ever seen the Bad Girls Club or these Crazy reality shows? Normal functional people will get on these shows and start tripping out because of the other crazy people they are hanging out with. And they see nothing wrong with it, they think that this behavior is normal. Do not be that person that hangs out with psychotic people and after a while their crazy behavior become your new normal.
Do not make friends with a hot-tempered person, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn their ways and get yourself ensnared. Proverbs 22:24-25
In Case you missed it.
- Single Woman Challenge Day 1. Behaving Like A Queen Will Get You A King
- Single Woman Challenge Day 2. What I Want In My Future Husband
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 3: What I Don’t Want In a Husband
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 4: 5 Tips To Taking a Better Selfie
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 5: Biblical Teachings For Single Women
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 6: Dream Big
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 7: A Single Woman’s Letter To God
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 8: Making Time For Your Kids As A Single Mom
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 9: Stepping Out Of Your Comfort Zone
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 10: How To Have A Grown & Sexy Girls Night Out
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 11: 5 Tips For Successful Online Dating
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 12: Random Acts of Kindness
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 13: Reach Out To An Old Friend Through Social Media
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 14. How To Go On A Prayer Walk
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 15: How To Meet New People
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 16: The Woman I Want To Be
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 17. Ways To Unplug and Enjoy Life
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 18: Ways and Reasons To Serve Others
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 19. Dare To Dream and Have the Faith To Make it Come True
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 20. The Joy of Spending Time Alone
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 21: Get Social And Meet People Online
- Single Christian Woman’s Challenge Day 22. Ways To Spice Up Your Look.
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 23: Why A Lunch Date is Better Than a Dinner Date
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 24: Tips for Traveling On Your Own
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 25: How To Have A Grown And Sexy Girls Night In