This is day 4 of the Christian Single Woman’s Challenge. An idea that I got from a blog called the Barn Princess, click here for more information.
Today’s challenge is:
Day 4: Glamorous You
Get all glammed up and take a bangin’ selfie. Put on your favorite outfit. Fix your hair nice and do your makeup. Then start snapping pictures. Choose your favorite one and make it your profile pic on your social media networks.
I am in my 30’s but I love taking selfies. I think that you should always try to look your best because you never know who may see you (check out my blog on it pays to look good). Any who, I decided to share with all of you wonderful ladies tips on how to get the perfect selfie.
Tip 1: Lighting
Lighting is important. So important that they have now invented selfie lights to go on your phone. The wrong lighting can make you look unrecognizable and the right lighting can make your selfie look like a glamour shot. Some of the basic of selfie lighting is:
- Always have the light source facing toward the subject. Meaning that if you are trying to take a picture of your face, sit in front on a window to get natural lighting facing you. If you have no windows, sit in front of a bright lamp and make sure that the light in turned toward you. Remove the shade if you have to.
- Have the light source in back on the camera. If you are taking a selfie in front of a window, then you want the light from the window to be behind the camera. A camera is a light box and having the camera directly in front of the light source will add additional lighting to your picture.
Tip 2: Photoshop
Even celebrities photo shop. But now with the wonderful invention of apps you too can photo shop your picture from your phone. The app that I use is YouCam Perfect (its free!). You can contour your face, slim down your body and face, hide blemishes, AND they even had an add on app where you can apply makeup to your selfie. Just an FYI, you may get carried away with this app, but the whole point is to improve your picture so you can look like the best version of yourself. Do not photo shop your picture so much that you look like someone else.
Tip 3: Angles
You have to play with angles to make the perfect selfie for your face. I like taking side selfies because I feel it is my best angle. I recommend taking a lot of selfies and playing with your angles and facial expressions. You do not have to post them, but this way you will see what angles and what facial expressions work for you. Some angles you want to prevent are:
- Tilting your head too far into the camera, because it will make your head look bigger.
- Putting the camera too far down and then looking into it. This can make you look bigger than you actually are and give you a double chin effect.
Tip 4: Do not make it look like a selfie
We all know you are taking a selfie, but you can get creative so that it does not look like you are talking a selfie. I have perfected putting my arm at an angle so that you cannot see it when I take the picture. I also do something with else with the rest of my body like look away from the camera, play with my hair, or do something with my clothes. This way it does not look like the typical selfie and give your pictures variation. You can also try a selfie stick if you want to be able to have more freedom posing.
Tip 5: Do you
With every selfie that you take, make it your own. Do not feel pressured to pose half naked or with your butt facing toward the camera. Do not feel pressured to do the stereotypical selfie poses. Make your own selfie signature pose and do not feel like you have to go with the crowd. I personally like to take selfie’s in which I play in the blinds….its just my thing.
In case you missed it, take a look at the other days of the Single Christian Woman’s Challenge.
- Single Woman Challenge Day 1. Behaving Like A Queen Will Get You A King
- Single Woman Challenge Day 2. What I Want In My Future Husband
- Single Woman’s Challenge Day 3: What I Don’t Want In a Husband