The new health craze is a little something call chia seeds. Chia seeds are said to have massive health benefits which is why people are coming up with fancy little recipes and putting them inside something we call chia seed bowls, chia seed pudding, and chia seeds smoothies just to name a few. Some of the benefits of chia seeds include the following:
- Help weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system.
- Feel fuller faster: Because they absorb 10 times their weight in water.
- Reduce your blood pressure
- Omega-3: the vital fats that protect against inflammation such as arthritis and heart disease.
- Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar.
In addition to these benefits, Chia seeds are full of nutrients. A 1 ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains.
- Fiber:11 grams.
- Protein:4 grams.
- Fat:9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
- Calcium:18% of the RDA.
- Manganese:30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium:30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus:27% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
Since I am always down to try something new that has the possibility to make me lose weight. I attempted to make my own rendition of a chia bowl. There are so many recipes out there for chia bowls that it is insane. I wanted to make mine easy. I do not have time be blending up 10 different fruits and vegetables, and all that other nonsense. So all I did was put plain Greek yogurt at the bottom, topped it with honey, and mixed in the chia seeds. After that I topped the mixture off with fresh fruit and added whip cream.
Overall it tasted pretty good. And to be honest it kept me fuller for longer. I feel my way of making the bowl is the easier. But just do a quick google search and you can find about 100 ways to make a chia bowl, if you are the type of person that likes putting in a lot of work to make your food. There are plenty recipes you can try. You can click here to see my full recipe for a smoothie bowl in which I add chia seeds.